Sunday, October 3, 2010

Giving Up Smoking - Musings on Methods of Success

The No-Smoking Day people in the UK say that 70% of smokers would like to stop. And smokers determined to quit try, try and try again until they are finally free.

Everybody has heard of hypnotherapy, patches, Zyban, and nicotine gum. There also new methods emerging as particularly effective with smoking, such as EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques, otherwise known as Tapping) and acupuncture. Other methods I have heard people getting success with are Reiki, spiritual healing, crystal healing, Shiatsu, Yoga, meditation, religion or worship, and Tai Chi.

Some ex-smokers-to-be avoid all the smoking triggers for a few months while they quit. This includes having tea or coffee, having an alcoholic drink, changing the rules about where smoking is allowed in the home, and avoiding friends who are smokers.

Others change their habits. This includes which hand they hold the cigarette in, changing the brand of cigarette or using roll-ups, changing their lighter to matches, and so on.

Of course, there is always the trick of replacing one habit by another. For example, some ex-smokers-to-be drink water instead of having a cigarette in order to replace one habit by another. Commonly, it is food which replaces the cigarettes; and some ex-smokers simply choose to overeat for a while until they are completely over the cigarettes. Then they go on a diet or a fitness regime in order to lose the weight. Others take up an intensive physical training regime from the get-go, partly to replace the smoking bad habit with the exercise good habit.

And aversion can be quite an important factor in turning one's back to cigarettes forever. Some would say that maybe if one were to observe some of the terrible smoking related diseases, one would not hesitate to quit and not need to spend money on hypnosis, EFT, NLP, accupuncture, and so on. Surely just by opening one's eyes to the terrible reality of smoking consequences, one can be cured of smoking and cravings forever?

Well, this works for some. But I got one of those terrible smoking related diseases and I still couldn't stop. I ended up preparing for my death so my children will be looked after. Then finally, I was helped to give up smoking. It is wonderful for all the lucky people who can give up smoking by willpower or by facing the facts. The rest of us need a little help, and there is nothing wrong with that. We all spend money on something or other. Spending money on health is surely a good thing. I am worth it, and so are all the clients that I and the many excellent stop-smoking practitioners that I know have helped to quit.

? Suzanne Zacharia 2010. Complementary and alternative health education and empowerment is my passion. My name is Suzanne Zacharia and I am committed to empowering people to take control of their health and wellness. A virus caught along with 5 other students at university at the end of 1986, plus medical negligence, meant that I got smokers lung at a relatively young age. In desperation for help with my symptoms and quality of life, I turned to complementary therapy, and this is beyond a decade that I have outlived one doctor's prognosis. I am now a complementary therapist, author and trainer. My big passion is to to help others stop smoking, as in my http://www.stop-smoking-ebooks.com/.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Suzanne_Zacharia

Suzanne Zacharia - EzineArticles Expert Author

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment